Thursday, March 27, 2014

Puthur Chakunny Jos



Son of Annama and Puthur Chakunny,
Wife: Rosy Jos
Children: Michael, Mary, Teresa, Anna, Rita, Alfons , Jibrael, Veronica, Alex, Litty
Lineage: Chakunny ->Udupu ->Cheru ->Udupu ->Cheru

Born in 1930 around the festivity and cheer of Onam in a small hamlet of Parappur, around 12 kilometres from Thrissur town. Jos was a talented boy he had a wide range of interest: swimming, reading, singing, composing, playing, climbing trees, walking….


When I interviewed people to get some different point of views …. some remember him for his songs, some remember for the card game twenty eight and some remember him for the magic tricks. His passion for football, his determination in summer holidays to chop firewood into neatly arranged lattice, some for his week-long fast and abstinence drives. Walk to mattom church, love for jackfruit.

My earliest memories of my Dad was him telling stories when I was a child. He had a whole collection of the same. I still remember some of the stories he used to narrate. Including the story of Mahabali and how Kerala was formed, the story of Moses, Abraham and Job.

To be frank, I did not like him very much when I was growing up, some of my memories of him scolding me lingered for a long time. His strong religious stand, his lack of flexibility, his inability to take suggestions.  His beliefs which were imposed on us to keep windows open even in winter, scolding for not switching of light/fan or closing a tap, making us read bible and say rosary daily ….. But now when I am a father of two I can perceive much better, I realized he grew up in a world very alien to what we kids grew up in. He has seen many an economic hardships, did not get chance to continue education after class 10. Even when he went to school he had to walk ten kilometers a day. End of the day his priorities were right and his focus was that we grow up to be good human beings.

He grew up in an orthodox family in Kerala and we were raised in a liberal one in a Metro. I was born when he was 44 years old. There was no way I could have really understood the man back then as a child. Even today when I write this blog I doubt I am in much of a better position. My elder brother Michael has seen a relatively stricter father than I have and has got umpteen number of scolding. But he, only had positive things to say about Papa including the story he narrated of how Dad had sold his watch to pay for his college fees.
Let’s get a perspective of some of Dad’s achievements:
  • Raised 10 kids on a government servant salary, all his kids are well educated, well settled, and strongly independent and even though I say so myself reasonably well balanced.
  • Built a 4 bedroom house in Delhi on 300 square yard plot in 1979
  • Only 10th pass, but he can read 4 languages.
  • Knows the bible better than most religious I know.
  • Orthodox in many ways but on the same hand very openly supportive for love marriages.
  • Composed music, wrote his own lyrics and sang them with gusto
  •  A great story teller.

There are many things we kids have learnt from him, honesty, integrity, self-belief, never give up, don’t depend on others, trust God, never forget to say thank you, never cheat, never lie, don’t worry about exams ... on the same hand there are many more things which we could not pick up from him, discipline, will power, willingness to learn, lead a simple life, value of money and resources, live happily without a care of the world.
Some of his favorite quotes are

  • Wealth is lost:  nothing is lost, Health is lost: something is lost, Character is lost: everything is lost
  • Waste not want not
  • Drink plenty of water ….
  • Don’t talk too much, Just say Yes or No
  •  Man does not live on bread alone ….
  •  Do your best and leave the rest to God
  •  Seek ye first the kingdom of God

Education


·         1-4 Class: St John’s School, Parappur
·         5-7 Class: Wagah School
·         8-10 Class: Erumapetty
·         Shorthand, Typing : Thrissur

Career

·         1954: Taught short hand for a year in Kerala
·         1955: Worked in Broadway, Madras
·         1956: Worked in Government Job in Delhi (Krishi Bhawan, Shasthri Bhawan, Seva Bhawan)
·         1989: Retired

Dad traveled all over India, he loved walking and traveling in a train. He was obsessed with any construction or development work and followed progress of Konkan Railway and Delhi Metro very minutely. He works, plays and lives his life with passion. I find that in many points I am similar to my dad and in many ways I see that my own son Aditya is even more similar to his grandfather. Needless to say we are just a shadow of this great man and I am proud to be his son.

Three cheers to this wonderfully, talented, enthusiastic, principled and fearless 84 year young man.

“Appachan  would distribute 10 paisa coin to all of us so that we could put it for Sunday collection in church.  How many of us have taught our children that? He was not a man to splurge even if he had money.  He was not stingy.  He would walk to save on bus fare but was willing to spend on a glass of cold water or a soft drink.   No pocket money but always encouraged to eat when hungry and drink plenty of water even if you have to pay for it.  Never scolded for poor marks but always encouraged to do better next time. ‘Do your best and leave the rest to God’, was his slogan. While on holidays he becomes the fun man:  Playing, joking, singing, telling stories, a real sport.”  P J Michael (Son)
        
As a child I was very proud to have the best Papa in the world. So handsome, so jovial, full of jokes and stories, the envy of all my friends in the neighborhood. The quality I admire most in him is his courage, courage to defy tradition, courage in the face of calamity, courage to face the world with your chin up even if it laughs at you.” Teresa Jos Joseph (Daughter)

"My brother loved to carry children in both hands and just imagine I AM one among them. the way he taught me to swim is just pushing me into thode" Rosy Stanley Menachery (Sister)

"We ( me and my brother sisters) used to go for walks with him when we were small. Singing songs sitting on velli pappa's shoulders turn by turn. Miss those days." Jeffrey Joseph (Grandson)

"I remember him (achan) as a very positive man. He enjoyed the extreme climate of north India.the summer, for the availability of juicy watermelons ,mangoes and other juices and drinks. The winter, for the cosiness of warm clothes, quilts and the sun. May God bless him with good health!" Rajan Mooken (Nephew)

2 comments:

rajuk said...

Nice Article. Great dad who took care of 10 children well.

And great son who posted this in the memories of his dad.

Unknown said...

Congrats for the article.I remember him (achan) as a very positive man.He enjoyed the extreme climate of north India.the summer,for the availability of juicy watermelons ,mangoes and other juices and drinks.The winter, for the cosiness of warm clothes, quilts and the sun.May God bless him with good health!