Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Rosy Thandkutty Mooken Jos

Daughter of Rosa and Porunju Mooken,
Siblings: Thomas, Varghese, Rosy, Kochannam(Sr. Martina), Jose, Marykutty
Husband: Puthur Chakunny Jos
Children: Michael, Mary, Teresa, Anna, Rita, Alfons , Jibrael, Veronica, Alex, Litty

Thandkutty Porunju Mooken, was born on August 2nd 1936 in Thrissur, a large temple town in Kerala. Born in a devout Syrian Catholic family, her dad was a wholesale merchant manager and her mom was a very caring and loving homemaker.

She did her early education from Lourde Palli and Sacred Heart School. She did her intermediate in Physics Chemistry and Maths. She went on to do her Bachelor in Arts with a major in Mathematics from St Mary's College Thrissur. She was the first person in her family to complete her graduation way back in the fifties.

Her most cherished memories are of her days in school and college. Her interaction with her sibling and friends, her activities in church and college, laughing with cousins in her quaint little home in Moospet Road.

As a child she played many games like ambasani (hide and seek), kavadi, card games like rummy and twenty eight. She still remembers her brother’s pranks and her ever caring sisters. She liked reading Malayalam detective stories and her hobbies included singing, dancing and theatre. Some highlights of her early days are:
  • Acted as a blind person in a play(class 6)
  • Comedy Play (class 9)
  • Participating with her elder sister in the church functions at St Sebastian
  • Dancing, Choreography
  • Sodality Group Member
  • Prefect for 5 years
  • Film Association Secretary
 Her cousin once shared, when she steps on stage, a pin drop silence will be in place and when she sings she would have the audience literally in a spell.

She worked two years as a teacher in a school. An interesting point to note is that she has three elder sisters and all like her were teachers. She got married in 1957 to Puthur Chakunny Jos and hence came to be known as Rosy Jos. They shifted to Delhi in 1958, they were the first Mooken and Puthur to step foot in the capital of free India …. Others later followed their lead.

They raised ten kids with a meager government salary and if I go into detail, it will be a very thick book. The kids went to good schools, were active in the church choir and youth group. All are married and well settled.

Yes she is my mom, a mother who taught me the meaning of unconditional love, a mother who taught me the importance of having core values, the need for integrity, to be confident, self reliant, faith in God.(and not to forget Maths and Hindi Dictation). My earliest memories are of playing at my home in Andrews Ganj and she played an integral part in most of them. Seeing her cook in kitchen, the purchasing of a fridge in 1979, her Usha sewing machine, pressure cookers at home, jealousy when my younger sister took most of her attention, her scolding me for doing something wrong, giving Rs 1 for buying Jet Ice Cream in 1981 (Class I), giving her share of Diwali Burfi in 1982, helping me cook my first ever Maggi in 1983, her concern when I was unwell and many more.

Even as I grew up I had a lot of freedom, to go play with friends, cycling in the neighbourhood(class III), staying back in school for sports(class V), church and youth group activities, staying overnight in my friends place. Many will not believe that I actually told her about my possible girlfriend even before my first date. She wisely warned me, but on the same hand did not stop me, for that I am grateful.

In Delhi she played a pivotal role in keeping the larger Puthur, Mooken and Tharakan families together and well connected. Mummy and Papa made it a point to visit different relatives however far they may be residing and all of them in turn did make a visit to our home. As a result Mayur Vihar, Faridabad and Tamoor Nagar though two hours journey in DTC buses, were always close to our heart. Even in Kerala, we used to visit all our cousins in Parappur, Nimini, Thrissur,  Pervallur and Kochi.

She was the youngest child and did not do much cooking as a child but over the years she became master class. Most of the recipes cooked at my home in Bangalore are hers. Specially the fish curries and meat dishes, cutlets, dal palak, masoor dal with that crushed garlic thadka, sambhar, avial and saturday morning special “kadla with grated coconut”. This generation may find it hard to believe but in Ravi Nagar along with Vellichechi(my eldest sister) she used to make acchappam, kuriappam, vattapam, murukku, besan ladoo, payasams, halwas, diamond cuts, picham pudi, motta churul(love letter) and most importantly her full range of pickles.

An ardent reader and in spite of her tight schedule she has read all seventy Agatha Christie's and many other novels. She used to join us kids when we played Anthakshiri, Badminton, Cards, Ludo, Chinese Checkers and even Dumb Charades (though it used to be very funny). I still cherish the stories she used to narrate, the Malayalam prayers songs we used to sing together and the way she lead us in prayer.

An actor, a singer, talented to the core,
     An ocean of love, a mother we adore
Grace personified, Confidence in her stride,
     Our childhood, thanks to her, was a wonderful ride
  
An excellent planner
     With an eye for detail
With a tight monthly budget
      Balancing wholesale and retail

Cutting cost with great acumen and skill,
        Stitching our clothes and paying the bills,
Cooking our breakfast and packing tiffins
       Knitting our sweaters and mittens

She is a mother of
    A deputy secretary for Government of India
    A chief manager in State Bank of India
           2 Professors and 2 Teachers
           An HR head in the Australian Embassy
    Russian/Japanese financial geek         
    A Google tech freak
And last but not the least
          A spiritual one, who is almost a priest 

A very loving grandmother and has spent hours taking care of her grandchildren, including my two kids. She till date remembers everybody’s birthday and makes it a point to call each one of them. She is 79 today and has spent the last 12 years taking care of my dad after his stroke. She is a role model when it comes to being a friend, a spouse, a sibling, an aunt, a grand mom and a Christian.

So there you have it my mother in a thousand word blog, but to do justice we would really need Jeffery Archer to write a book, Javed Akthar to write a song and ideally an oil on canvas by Leonardo da Vinci. Rosy Jos is my mom and I am very fortunate to be her son. Her love, prayers and blessings have brought me thus far. Thank you Mummy, you are the best.

Other Perspectives
"I remember the late night look out from Sewa Nagar balcony for appachan's return from office, will sit with me however late as I had my dinner, worked day and night especially before we left for annual Kerala visits. 
Try packing for 10 kids, hungry kids. I don't remember being stranded without food. We all felt the need to pitch in. No coaxing required, her example, her struggle was guidance enough.
Today she single handedly takes care of papa. With total devotion, with total love, with total concern. A friend indeed. Three cheers to our mummy, valia mummy, nani, chechi, kochamma, ammamma, ............" P J Michael (Eldest Son)

“An all-rounder in the truest sense, that’s Mummy. From a homemaker, an artist, a singer to a poised socialite who can converse on any topic. Into every role she fits easily. What really amazed me and what I admire is this variety of talents” Teresa Joseph( Daughter)

"Amazing how she managed ten
I can barely mange two
Was patient and kind with everyone
So honest and true

         Courage perseverance and patience
         She has in abundance
          Loving caring and devoted
          Despite being in situations so dense
Generations are progressing
And so are we
But better mother than my mother
Impossible to be!"  Alfons Madoc(Daughter)


6 comments:

The Drive said...

Beautifully written Manoj. A pleasure to read but brought tears and the emotional lump.
I remember the late night look out from Sewa Nagar balcony for appachan's return from office, will sit with me however late as I had my dinner, worked day and night especially before we left for annual Kerala visits. Try packing for 10 kids, hungry kids. I don't remember being stranded without food.
We all felt the need to pitch in. No coaxing required, her example, her struggle was guidance enough.
Today she single handedly takes care of papa. With total devotion, with total love, with total concern. A friend indeed.
Three cheers to our mummy, valia mummy, nani, chechi, kochamma, ammamma, ............

Rita Sequeira said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rita Sequeira said...

They say a daughter looks upon her dad as a role model but me I was always besotted by my mom. I remember as a child I would save the rare toffee we got at school for her, especially if it was the green hard one that she liked. I truly admire her for being there for us however tired she may have been.
She has taught me to cook, to knit, to stitch and even to look after children. However much I learn I cannot ever be like her. She is a remarkable woman.
Thank you mummy for being you and for what I am today.

Rita Sequeira said...

Manoj you could add her love for gardening.
She is very fond of gardening and would spend time everyday in the garden. She worried about the growth of each plant as she did about those related to her. She used to send me to the garden to pluck flowers for the altar and also for filling the flower pots in the drawing room. In the absence of flowers in the garden she would pluck flowers from roadside plants.

Rita Sequeira said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

From Rajan Mookken, her eldest brother's son : Before you all ( her children) could see her , enjoy her presence, I was a devoted student of her ( 1954-1957) , for my first film song ( Hindi) recitation as well as first two minutes school speech. Also, I was a loner to feel lost and sad when she left me and all at Trichur, to Delhi after her marriage. Of course, I had more closer time , when she was in our house for a long sick leave. I was happily sad to console her often on those days. I agree to all of your views , in toto.

I still cherish the Joy , I had when she brought for me transparent cubes from Koday after her college trip.
Some words , from memory lane !!! 28, Jan 2016