Saturday, February 7, 2015

Divorce, What are the chances !!!

Context: Written seven years after incident ... with the vision of hindsight !! :-) 
(Article Draft written by Jibrael Jos for assignment on edx online english course)

Divorce happened to me, embarrassing but true. Love marriage, nice wedding, travel abroad, loving in laws, wonderful kids and boom.... Divorce.

When life does not have wrinkles we create a few, literally crumpling the very fabric of our existence. Then looking up to God and saying “Lord, why me?”

On hindsight I can see the lighter side of a break up. But guys mind you divorce is a more serious thing it leaves a bloody crater and a mushroom cloud so huge that it blocks sun, fresh air and all that is good for days, months and years.

If it happened to me it could happen to anyone. All of you sitting complacently and pointing fingers at me in your mind … think over how close you got. Does a shudder run down your spine …. If not it should. Financial crisis, emotional trauma, societal pressures (“advices”) and most importantly parenting nightmares.

By the time you pick up the broken pieces, world would have taken a couple of spins around the sun. By the time your heart mends, your hair would have turned a shade grey. You think you have grown wiser but chances are you would have been rambling and wandering around like a madman.


Adversity can be a friend, challenges can mold you, ridicule can strengthen you and like a phoenix you could rise from the ashes. Because in darkness when your shadow leaves you, you find grace. You take up life with a zest you did not know existed deep down inside you. You live with a deeper purpose. You cherish what you have and what you don’t. You find yourself, you relate with others and maybe even find God.

I introspect but refuse to live a life of regret. I despair but refuse to wallow in self-pity. I have received love in abundance, I have found respect in plenty, I have found opportunities galore. Like a wise man once said, “I have not got a cross to carry but a guitar”. Which song would you like to hear … A happy one?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Wish it was longer, Written extremely well.

AlfonsM said...

Agree with philo...wish to read more..u hav grown wiser I'm sure...irrespective of your wanderings...love the last para!

Unknown said...

I think im too young for this kind of stuff

Jibrael Jos Puthur said...

ha ha ha ... good one Alex