Tuesday, February 17, 2015

In search of God

We all know that God really does not exist in the Church, Temple or Mosque alone, we understand that he is omnipresent, we understand that he exist in right action, we understand that he exist in every pure thought, in every heart, in every mind and in every soul. 

Sometimes when we are in fear, doubt or anxiety we start grasping for straws and we start limiting our limitless God, we build walls, barriers and gates.

Does abstinence help, well I think it does.
     Does the ambiance of a temple help, surely
             Does breathing exercise help meditate better, definitely
But well so does walking, ambiance of a trekking trail 
                           or breathing the fresh air at the mountain top

I have found inspiration in teaching of Christ, Buddha and Bhagwat Gita's different interpretations
        I have enjoyed reading the works of Swami Vivekananda, Saint Augustine, Mahatma Gandhi
But I have also found wisdom in Deepak Chopra, Steven Covey, Richard Bach, Paulo Cuelho and most importantly in the essays of my students in college.
 
I have found inspiration in a massive tree to a simple leaf
       I have found peace in a priest's wise words and in the laughter of a small child
I have found strength in huge mountains and also in my mom

I have searched but cannot claim I have found him
          But I also cannot claim that I have not !!
I have been blessed by grace many a times
          I have found peace and tranquility many times

I never prayed for a miracle and hopefully never will. I pray for strength, I pray for grace, I pray for peace of mind.

I believe in Jesus and find his teachings very sensible but I do not believe Jesus is the only way to heaven, because my God is a mighty God and I do not believe in limiting him. As Swami Vivekananda used to pray

'As the different streams having their sources in different places all mingle their water in the sea, so, O Lord, the different paths which men take through different tendencies, various though they appear, crooked or straight, all lead to Thee.'


The important thing I feel is:
       We need to take time out to pray, to meditate, to introspect
            We need to take time to serve, help and appreciate others
                We need to take time out to grow physically, intellectually and spiritually
 
Following is a famous verse by Kabir:
(KabÄ«r (1440 – 1518) was a mystic poet and saint of India, whose writings have greatly influenced the Bhakti movement.) 

Moko Kahan Dhundhere Bande 
                                  Mein To Tere Paas Mein
Na Teerath Mein, Na Moorat Mein 

                                  Na Ekant Niwas Mein
Na Mandir Mein, Na Masjid Mein 

                                  Na Kabe Kailas Mein
Mein To Tere Paas Mein Bande 

                                  Mein To Tere Paas Mein
Na Mein Jap Mein, Na Mein Tap Mein 

                                  Na Mein Barat Upaas Mein
Na Mein Kiriya Karm Mein Rehta

                                  Nahin Jog Sanyas Mein
Nahin Pran Mein Nahin Pind Mein 

                                  Na Brahmand Akas Mein
Na Mein Prakuti Prawar Gufa Mein 

                                  Nahin Swasan Ki Swans Mein
Khoji Hoye Turat Mil Jaoon 

                                  Ik Pal Ki Talas Mein
Kahet Kabir Suno Bhai Sadho 

                                   Mein To Hun Viswas Mein

(In essence he is not saying God is not there in all these, but rather that God is everywhere (including all these) and most importantly he is inside in each one of us) ... so common lets Google for God

2 comments:

Rita Sequeira said...

Very well put. Great piece of wisdom. God is in everything and in everyone.

SpiritedWriter said...

Nice Jos. Liked the Kabirs Doha.