Friday, October 1, 2010

Acting : Beyond Boundaries


When Sibu Sir (TIE) offered me an opportunity to act as a murderer just returned from jail, I was excited to say the least. Add to that the murderer(Ashwin) was repenting on the very day of his heinous crime. Three short scenes, but on the same hand a powerful and emotional one. I practiced with the group and even at home. I had to practice staying in a depressed, frustrated and repentant state for the first 6 scenes of the play. The second scene was in the shadow so I had to make sure that I used my hands and the body language more effectively.

I learnt a lot of things in the process of practices. What makes it memorable was the comradeship we shared with the fellow actors, dancers, backstage artists and the director. The environment was friendly and even though the director had a strict eye on quality nobody felt a hanging Damocles sword. The passion and dedication of the fellow artist pushed me to take that extra yard. I was acting after twelve long years and being part of this production and standing under the lights in huge Christ Auditorium was an impossible dream just a month before.
Three shows to remember, my kids loved my performance and kept repeating my dialogues in the next two weeks

No comments: