Monday, October 25, 2010

Teaching: Odd Semester 2010

This semester had the following classes
  • M.Sc Data Structures (~60 hrs)
  • M.S Data Structures (~40 hrs)
  • BSc (CMS and CME) DBMS (~50 hrs)
  • MCA/M.Sc Placement (~25 hrs)
  • BCA : Pl/SQL (12 hrs)
  • Class Teacher for M.Sc 1st Sem and MS 1st Sem
I have really enjoyed teaching here at Christ and each semester it is getting better.

Students of B.Sc were a different bunch to the students I had taught in PG Courses and taking their class was definitely fun. I found the class very enthusiastic and it gave me new energy each time I walked into the class.

My Learnings:
  • Not to go unprepared for a class as a time gets under utilized and students do not understand, it is not that I have to learn the topic but rather how to teach it.
  • Came to know that some students felt perturbed by me, need to be more expressive
  • I tend to praise students and sometimes it erks other students and they start assuming I am biased. (Need to be careful)
  • Stick to the fundamentals
  • Learn from previous semester the topics which students had doubted in end sem and tried to revise it or teach it differently
  • Used Blackboard more, ppts are not effective in many situations
  • Trust students, take feedback from them half way thru
  • Code along with teaching
  • Importance of Test and Assignments
  • Teaching Simple Topics I tend to find difficult
  • Need to take care of both the Outstanding and Weak Students and not to get one sided


Some different methods applied
  • Used different games to foster thinking
  • Games to improve team work
  • Used discussion/interactive mode
  • Quiz (as teams)
  • Data Structure / DBMS dumb charades
  • Excercises
  • Songs / Mime on different computer papers
  • Assignments (Create a video on DBMS / DS) ; Writing out of box code; Create Notes from Wiki
  • CMS/CME class created notes as a team and end result we had two version of notes
  • Used Java Application (created by me) to explain sorts
  • Shared Online resources

I tried to repeat topics in rotation rather than just going Unit 1 - 5 sequentially. Took revision classes.

1 comment:

ShUbH@M GuPt@ said...

sir,post describing your passion towards teaching..:-)nice..!