Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Puthur Uduppu Chakunny : Appapan

                                                                 Written by Jibrael Jos 
First person I ever cried for
The day he passed away
My Grandfather was the best
Memories which linger and stay

Walking to the market
Barefoot just like him
Taking the cow to graze
Or to the stream to swim

Inspecting the fields
Learning to tie knots
He telling me about plants
And how things are bought

Evaluating tapiocas quality
Or freshness of fish
Different types of bananas
And tasting a perfect dish

Helping him in my little way
Was an excuse to be with him
Here was a man I aspired
To grow up just like him

I will ask him to tell
Of incidents long gone
Though I heard them many times
I would ask him to go on

Sitting on his chair,
Eating achh roti like him
Holding on to trinklets
Once used by him

Hug when we arrived
Tears when we did leave
Summer Holidays in Kerala
Taught me to give more than I recieve

He gifted me a hammer once
I held it with such pride
Some part of me is sculpted
I can feel him inside

Tears do well up when I think back
Of the love I did receive
How I wish I could hold his hand
And walk through green fields

A hardworking father and farmer
Who believed, God has a plan
All my sibling and cousins
Will vouch for this great man


No comments: